Are You Prepared to Preach?
Straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief!”
What a poignant and powerful confession! Surely all who have similarly felt the hammer-blow that is the grace of forgiveness can empathize warmly with this man’s spontaneous declaration! Moreover, the perception of forgiveness itself is a strong motivator to preach. How can we who have been granted the inestimable privilege of approaching the Throne with boldness not feel the urgent desire to share the gift of salvation? Says Jeremiah: “His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot!”
But then, how can I preach? “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue” says Moses, echoing the perceived inadequacy of ‘faltering lips’ that many of us may feel.
For that reason WCF is sponsoring a missionary training program called “Prepared to Preach” (P2P).
What is P2P?
P2P is a week-long intensive missionary training camp designed to prepare for a targeted preaching trip (a concept originally developed by brethren in Sydney, Australia in 2001). The training consists of:
- Appreciating why we talk to strangers about God and His plans, and what mo- tivates us to speak up.
- Becoming familiar with and owning an understanding of the Bible’s message.
- Capturing a better understanding of cultural differences and improving skills of sensitivity within them.
- Learning skills for open conversation, dealing with “tricky” questions & developing abiding relationships focused around the Bible.
- Gaining confidence to testify for the Lord Jesus in an increasingly secular world.
As ecclesial entities, you can also participate in a sponsorship program, by donating $500 to one particular student’s travel assistance (each mission student is required to secure such a sponsorship as a reference/validation.). That student will then send reports and updates directly to your ecclesia – the intention being to combine practical assistance with developing new inter-ecclesial ties and relationships.
For more information on P2P registration, organization, sponsorship program or requesting flyers, contact Bro John Pople firstname.lastname@example.org.
P2P in Cambodia – Sample
In December 2008, there was an opportunity to support the work of four P2P teams that had been prepared by training in Brisbane, Australia. They would be working with the brethren who would be attending “Cambodia Mission Month” and its theme that is titled “Changing Lives”. The funding request was for defraying costs in the following areas:
- Provincial Preaching Visits
- Local Preaching Teams
- Bible School Food
- Bible School Accommodation
Key objectives included:
- Spread the Good News of the Gospel of the Kingdom of God and name of our Lord Jesus Christ in Cambodia
- Raise the profile of mission work in Cambodia including the dormitories projects, teaching English, Bible Education Centre (BEC) and the potential orphanage
- Provide experiences and support to new Brothers and Sisters in Cambodia and Vietnam through the Bible School
- Generate positive personal experiences for new missionaries and increase their commitment to preaching in many ways including longer time commitments in the field
WCF did provide funding for the P2P teams as well as for 15 brethren to come over from Vietnam. The photo depicts one of the classes that was led by two P2P Sisters at the Leadership Character Development Institute (LCDI).
Updated November 2013